ST MARY'S BRIGNALL
St Mary's Church in Brignall was built 1833-1834, designed in an Early English style by R. Dawson. The parish church is located on Brignall Lane and replaced an old church, the ruins of which are located near by, close to the River Greta. The current church was remodelled 1892. It is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.
Today, the medieval village of Brignall is no longer, so the church is a 'Chapel of Ease' with two service of Evening Prayer each month on the 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:30pm.
THE OLD CHURCH
This now ruined 13th century church is recorded as Pastscape Monument No. 539479 and Historic England ID 1121693 and sits "in (a) romantic setting by River Greta; the subject of paintings by Turner and others."
The remains of a 9th century cross shaft is built into the interior north wall, just west of the opening in the wall, and a few courses up from the current ground level. There are also cross slabs re-used as lintels above the east window.
This church was part of the now deserted medieval village of Brignall. According to The Heart of Teesdale November 2015 newsletter, "Geophysical and LIDAR surveys were undertaken followed by targeting trenching at Brignall deserted medieval village to clarify the extent and nature of the archaeology. This proved to be an incredibly rich site which raised more questions than it answered. Evidence of the medieval occupation and unexpected prehistoric farming were found!" (Information by Ann Tate)